And here she is, the May 2013 issue of Lonny—almost 180 pages packed with gorgeous photography and smart design ideas that we hope will inspire you to get out and celebrate the season with the people you love.
Our cover subject, Kelly Wearstler, is the perfect example of this. Despite her enviable looks, impeccable wardrobe (that pink silk jacket! those stiletto heels!), and cinema-worthy surroundings, she is first and foremost a devoted mom who doesn't bat an eye when her boys jump on the sofa or drum on the chandelier. In this issue, photographer Coral von Zumwalt, senior associate editor Sarah Storms, and editorial coordinator Kaylei McGaw spend a day down (but most certainly not out) in Beverly Hills for a visual romp through Wearstler's James Dolena–designed estate.
Other highlights from our May issue:
• Spring Picnic. From German stylist and photographer Dietlind Wolf, whimsical tablescapes that use the colors, fruit, and flowers of the season to set a romantic mood.
• Small-Space Transformation. Two tiny studios in a Manhattan townhouse are turned into a sleek, streamlined one-bedroom showcasing vibrant furnishings and vintage finds.
• Dream Retreat in Italy. Hidden in a centuries-old hilltop town between Florence and Rome, the gorgeously renovated Domus Civita melds historical texture and cool modern comforts, such as an underground pool and a cliffside garden.
• Chic Caribbean Hideaway. On the island of St. Bart’s, the nine-bungalow La Banane combines classic midcentury pieces and colorful interiors with two pools and an open-air living room.
• Work to Home. Jenna Gribbon and Julian Tepper, the couple behind the New York City arts salon known as the Oracle Club, show us around their creative workspace and their equally inspiring home.
• Global Giving. Kristy Caylor, cofounder of fashion It brand Maiyet, travels the world to find skilled artisans to craft her luxury goods.
• Lonny Loves. Meet interior designer Alex Gaston, the telegenic star of Sunbrella's and Lonny’s Design Challenge 2013—a nine-part video series that tracks the makeover of a loft in downtown Atlanta.
• Scout. Our new front-of-book section explores 20 of the most fascinating people, products, places, and trends of the month. This issue includes a DIY Mother’s Day party from accessories designer Jessie Randall; the hottest patio chair of the summer; easy, one-stop-shop table ideas; a guide to pendant lamps; and the top hotel, restaurant, and store openings of the season.
Enjoy the issue!