Name: Kriste Michelini
Resides in: Alamo, CA
Occupation: Founder of Kriste Michelini Interiors
Best known for: A classically modern aesthetic and spaces that are both beautiful and functional. Check out some of Michelini's recent residential and commercial projects here.
1. Antique or modern?
Modern mixed with antiques.
2. City or country?
This is a tough one. I love both, but if I had to choose it would be country.
3. Which colors do you use most?
Shades of cream with taupes and browns.
4. Favorite materials or textures?
5. What is your favorite interior design–related word?
Butterfly corner on a pillow.
6. Does your home look like the one you grew up in?
7. Does a room need a view?
Definitely. At a minimum, a window with natural light. Bringing the outdoors in with a view makes for an ideal room.
8. Favorite designer or architect?
Shelton, Mindel & Associates.
9. Which design blog, website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without?
10. What qualities do you most admire in a room?
Sculptural and high contrast.
11. What is a forbidden word in your house?
12. Design rule you like to break?
Are there rules? I'm sure I break them all the time.
13. What is your favorite room in the house?
14. What is your most treasured possession?
A notecard from my late brother.
15. What do you wish you could do without?
16. What are you afraid to DIY?
I'd say almost everything, since it wouldn't stand up to my own standards.
17. Have you ever had a change of heart about an object or a style?
Of course—we all evolve.
18. If you could live in one historical figure’s house, whose would it be?
[Thomas Jefferson's] Monticello.
19. On what movie set would you like to live?
20. What is your favorite design errand or journey?
Shopping on La Cienega [in Los Angeles].
21. To which country would you move for the design?
Italy, for sure.
22. What's your favorite hotel?
Las Ventanas al Paraiso.
23. If you were reborn as a piece of furniture or an object, what would it be?
A bench—I love them.
24. What does "accessible home design" mean to you?
That it's attainable and within reach.