Wedding Hair Tutorial: Crown Braid Chignon
One of the most popular pins ever on Once Wed is this hairstyle from our Springtime Maidens post. I’m thrilled to share the tutorial on how to recreate this crown braid chignon at home.
(Photos Rylee Hitchner) 1. French braid front section of hair from one ear to the other. Leave end of braid out until Step 7.
2. Take the top section of hair, tease it and pin it securely with bobby pins to create a half-up, half-down look.
3. Take a section of hair from one side, twist it and bring it to the opposite side and pin it with bobby pins. Make sure to cover the previously secured bobby pins from Step 1!
4. + 5. Then take the remaining “tail” from the section of hair just pinned with an additional section of hair, creating one section of hair, twist and bring it to the opposite side and pin it securely with bobby pins directly under the previous twist.
(Photos Rylee Hitchner) 6. Repeat the process until there are no longer any more sections on either side and you are left with just the “tails”.
7. + 8. Pin the remaining “tails” by twisting and overlapping, mimicking the overlap twist look.
11. After all hair is braided and pinned securely, gently tug at it to create a looser, more full look.
Photography: Rylee Hitchner // Styling & Design: Ginny Au // Hair & Makeup: Amanda Paige // Bridesmaids Gowns: Nordstroms