1. Antique or modern? Always mix.
2. City or country? A modern box in the country.
3. Which colors do you use most? Black, white, nude.
4. Favorite materials or textures? Brass, animal skins, anything irregular and organic, stone.
5. What is your favorite interior design–related word? Imperfect.
6. Does your current home look like the one you grew up in? Not even close. Sorry, Mom.
(Strata Study: Zak+Fox x APPARATUS)7. Does a room need a view? Doesn't hurt. Otherwise it needs simple mirrored planes.
8. Favorite designer or architect? Does this have to be an interior designer? Endlessly inspired by Riccardo Tisci's Givenchy Couture.
9. Which design blog, website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without? I'm a Tumblr junkie. All of them. Constant stream of images.
10. What qualities do you most admire in a room? A slight sense of tension. Something that keeps you on your toes.
11. What is a forbidden word in your house? We don't have a forbidden word. We have a safe word, but we can't tell you what it is.
12. Design rule you love to break? Black and navy.
13. What is your favorite room in the house? Our kitchen—soaring ceilings and a big window that leads out to our little rooftop patio.
14. What is your most treasured possession? My piano. It's in our design studio.
(Arrow fixture. Photos courtesy of APPARATUS)15. What do you wish you could do without? External validation.
16. How does West Coast design differ from East Coast design? Does it? The wealth on the West Coast is a little less conservative, so I think you see more daring choices.
17. What is your favorite thing about the West Coast—design-related or otherwise? The light. I grew up in LA. I can identify photos taken there just by the quality of light.
18. If you could live in one historical figure’s house, whose would it be? Doris Duke.
19. On what movie set would you like to live? I Am Love. Villa Necchi in Milan. And the address is on Via Wolfango Amedeo Mozart. Does it get any better?
20. To which country would you move for the design? Italy.
21. If you were reborn as a piece of furniture or an object, what would it be? A well-worn leather bag.