5 Easy Design Updates From the New Apartment Therapy Book
Get one more sneak peek inside the must-have design tome before it comes out tomorrow
Apartment Therapy is forever inspiring us with clever and cost-effective home hacks, so how could we wait until tomorrow (gasp!) to share these five super easy DIY updates with you from their new release Apartment Therapy: Complete + Happy Home (Potter Style, September 15)? Keep reading for some instantaneous inspo, and scroll to the bottom for another AT excerpt you shouldn't be living (or at least gallery wall-ing) without.
1. Love the look of tile but can’t afford it? Stencil your favorite pattern on finished plywood to use as flooring.
2. Forget expensive slipcovers. Have one made from a vintage wool blanket to save on fabric costs.
3. Replicate the look of traditional wall molding with painter’s tape! Simply tape the desired pattern on your wall, paint (a dark color works best), and remove the tape.
4. Get the lo-fi, cozy look of mismatched sofa cushions (or hide worn spots) with a colorful pillowcase. Just slip one over the cushion, and pin excess fabric if necessary. It’s cheaper than upholstery—and so much easier.
5. Have specific over-the-desk storage needs but can’t fork over the cash for something custom? Prop an antique metal bed frame against the wall, and add shelves, file holders, and clips as needed.
See another excerpt from Apartment Therapy: Complete + Happy Home on Lonny: How To Frame and Hang Anything (Without Ruining Your Walls)