Lonny Loves: Birgit Klein
The designer talks monochrome love, her Kit Kemp girl crush, and living in a Nancy Meyers movie.
Birgit (Bee) Klein
Occupation: Founder of interior design firm Birgit Klein Interiors.
Resides in: Los Angeles
Best known for: Bringing a heavy dose of European glam to the West Coast.
1. Antique or modern?
2. City or country?
3. Favorite materials or textures?
Silk, velvet, cashmere, leather and bronze—I am all about textures.
4. What is your favorite interior design-related word?
5. Does your current home look like the one you grew up in?
Not in the slightest.
6. Does a room need a view?
7. Favorite designer or architect at the moment?
8. Which design blog, website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without?
Pinterest & Architectural Digest
9. What qualities do you most admire about the design of a room?
Balance, proportion, scale and light.
10. What is a forbidden word in your house?
I have two small kids—there are too many to mention.
11. Design rule you love to break?
Are there any design rules?
12. What is your favorite room in the house?
Kitchen and den.
13. What is your most treasured possession?
The keepsake boxes of my two children.
14. What do you wish you could do without?
My sweet tooth.
15. If you could live in one historical/famous person's home, whose would it be?
Not sure how ‘famous’ he is but it would be the home in Malibu owned by the real estate mogul Kurt Rappaport. Its just stunning —both from the inside and outside.
16. On what movie set would you like to live?
I cannot decide…It would be either the beautiful beach house from 'Somethings Gotta Give' with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, or ‘Its Complicated,' based in Santa Barbara with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. Ideally I could switch between the two.
17. To which country would you move for the design?
Thats tough. It would be between France and Italy
18. If you were reborn as a piece of furniture or an object, what would it be?
A beautiful piece of art.
19. What is an interiors trend you’d be happy to not see ever again?
20. What is an interiors trend you’re excited about?
Black windows with black trims and metal windows and doors.
21. What is the last piece of furniture you purchased?
I can’t even remember, as I usually design everything myself and have it made. I think it might have been my son’s bunk bed.