Name: Ryan WhiteOccupation: Interior Designer, founder of Ryan White Designs
Resides In: Los Angeles, CA
1. Antique or modern?
Always a mix.
2. City or country?
I'm a country boy at heart.
3. Which colors do you use most?
Gray, light gray and lighter gray.
4. Favorite materials or textures?
Linen, suede, cashmere, wire brushed oak, marble, brass.
5. What is your favorite interior design-related word?
I often find my self saying the word "cultivated".
6. Does your current home look like the one you grew up in?
Nope! I grew up in the suburbs of Littleton, Colorado and our home was traditional-meets-craftsman. I now live in a 1920s Spanish-style home smack in the middle of Los Angeles. It's a very Nancy Meyers home, for any movie lovers in the audience.
7. Does a room need a view?
Absolutely! But that does not always mean out of a window. The view could be a beautiful custom bar, gorgeous kitchen, or a wall with well-appointed art.
(Designed by Ryan White, photo by Stephen Busken)8. Favorite designer or architect?
9. Which design blog, website, TV show, or magazine would you be lost without?
Well, Lonny of course, and I am always happy reading Elle Decor and watching The Voice. (The Voice has nothing to do with design but it takes my mind off of things for an hour.)
10. What qualities do you most admire in a room?
11. What is a forbidden word in your house?
"Hate"… I can't stand that word. I always tell people to, "break up with hate."
12. Design rule you love to break?
I am not someone who "studied" design in school, so if I am breaking any rules it's news to me!
13. What is your favorite room in the house?
The living room. I love being able create different spaces within one large room. I also like making one area of the room feel a little more tailored and another area feel casual. To me it gives a room a better history and story.
14. What is your most treasured possession?
My two white labs, Cooper and Wriley.
15. What do you wish you could do without?
16. If you could live in one historical figure’s house, whose would it be?
It would be a fictional home—Jay Gatsby's.
17. On what movie set would you like to live?
Legends of the Fall.
18. To which country would you move for the design?
19. If you were reborn as a piece of furniture or an object, what would it be?
A cashmere blanket.
20. What was the inspiration for your latest project?
I just finished our home, so the inspiration would have to be myself and my partner's. We both love comfortable spaces that are elevated by the textures and objects in the room.
(Designed by Ryan White, photo by Stephen Busken)21. If you could spend one day as a character of any book or movie what character would you be?
Ryan Phillippe in Cruel Intentions.
22. Do you have any decorating traditions for the holiday season?
I love having dried berries around, as well as pinecones and scented candles.
23. What is your favorite thing to cook?
I love making desserts...I make an amazing berry cobbler using fresh fruit from the local farmer's market.
24. What is your must-have in the kitchen?
A Kitchen Aid 5-Quart Artisan Stand Mixer
25. What is a trend you are anticipating for 2014?
I think people are moving away from the rustic and more toward the luxe.
(A rug White created in collaboration with Los Angeles-based artist, RETNA.)