6 Not-to-Miss Books to Read This October
The best picks for our favorite fall pastime: curling up with a good design book.
When summer breezes turn brisk and the light fades sooner than you think it would, there's nothing better than curling up with a good design book. This month's top releases have something for everyone, whether you're a trad Pinner with a penchant for classic patterms, a DIY entertainer with a perfect roast chicken on the brain, or a constant reorganizer with a notepad of ideas at the ready. Read on for six highly addictive tomes to read in front of the fire in your living room or over a pumpkin-spice latte at your favorite breakfast spot. Each is inspirational, aspirational, and everything in between—plus, they'll do your coffee cocktail table and your design library a world of good.
1. Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home Ok, so technically this book was released in September, but the most definitive title from the blog that started a digital design phenomenon is a can't miss. Filled with helpful tips, inspiring photos, and approachable advice, it illuminates the design process for recreational designers who want to turn the everyday into something beautiful.
2. Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves Everyone's favorite design doyenne, HGTV's Emily Henderson shows you how to think like a stylist in your own home, offering tips on how to edit down your collection of stuff, arrange a perfect vignette, and find new uses for old things—all without breaking the bank. Start with her home style quiz, then get to work.
3. Parish-Hadley Tree of Life: An Intimate History of the Legendary Design Firm Design icons in their own right, authors Brian McCarthy and Bunny Williams share stories from some of the most respected talents in the industry and shed light on the inner workings of the venerable partnership between Sister Parish and Albert Hadley, two of the greatest trad design influencers of all time.
4. The New Shingled House In this dreamy coffee table book, the distinguished design firm of Ike Kligerman Barkley shares 14 of its most stately and iconic homes built in the classic American shingle style. From a lodge in the Blue Ridge Mountains to a beachy stunner in the Hamptons, these houses offer up aspirational eye-candy of the best kind.
5. The New Easy Your weeknight meals will never be the same thanks to Australian food editor and entertaining powerhouse Donna Hay's latest cookbook. In it, you'll find more than 135 quick, easy, and delicious recipes to turn you into the best home cook you can be—one roast chicken at a time.
6. At Home in the Garden Celebrated interior designer Carolyne Roehm gives readers an inside look at the legendary gardens at Weatherstone, her historic home in Connecticut. The style icon and lifestyle maven offers entertaining tips, landscaping advice, and inspirational greenery arrangements to get you through the season and back into the spring of things in no time.